Five steps for getting the most out of Program Achieve
Program Achieve is at the core of the You Can Do It! Education program, so how do you maximise student engagement with the Program Achieve lessons?
Firstly, it is important to carefully plan the lessons and activities in Program Achieve. This means, reviewing the content of each lesson and activity to decide what will suit the interest level and learning styles of your students. You can also supplement the material in Program Achieve with other forms of media and applied activities sourced from the internet including YouTube movie clips, cartoons and songs.
A typical Program Achieve lesson plan may look like this:
Planning a Lesson
- Make content relevant (5 mins.)
- Discuss with students the goals of the lessons (5 mins.)
- Present with interest, high energy, pre-selected activities from Program Achieve (20-30 mins.)
- Present supplementary activity (e.g., YouTube clip) that brings to life ideas being taught in Program Achieve
- Have students discuss and present evidence as to whether or not they achieved the goals of the lesson (5 mins.)
Engaging students with relevant material that supports their school community will not only assist teachers in consolidating the objectives of the lesson but students are more likely to connect to the key concepts, actively participate and recall their learnings.
Here is a great example of a supplementary resource that could be shared with students when discussing the Persistence unit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUm-vAOmV1o
The powerful impact of YCDI!
The staff and students at Laurimar Primary School in Victoria, are experiencing the positive benefits of YCDI! Don't take our word for it - Listen to some of the results they’ve achieved using the YCDI! program.